[opendtv] Re: news: Migrating to advanced video coding; What's the plan?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:47:29 -0500

> How many A-90 capable receivers have you found Bert?
>
> Yesterday i asked for assistance on a story about generating
> additional revenue streams from a 6MHz DTV channel. The entire
> process that produced A-90 was about Data Brodcasting, not a back
> door to keep adding new technologies to the ATSC standard. To date
> there is not a single consumer receiver that understands A-90. It is
> possible to buy A-90 compliant gear from Triveni and possibly others
> to build closed systems that could support additional revenue
> streams, but only a handful of stations are doing this.

Well see the problem with A/90 is that is is woefully inadequate for
doing anything but the simplest of datacasting systems. And when you
move to creating a larger system the first thing you find is that the
A/90 spec is woefully inadequate for building a baseline datacasting
system. You just can't build anything on top of a SAP/SDP announcement
system that was originally intended for use in campus video conferencing
networks. This is a dead duck.

The only real solution is to look to what FLUTE on DVB and the IPG work
is accomplishing, or to build a proprietary system. Most data
broadcasting software manufacturers provide API interfaces on all target
platforms though (Linux, Windows, etc.). Funny that the one you
mentioned (to the best of my knowledge) does not.

Cheers
Kon