[opendtv] Re: XDS and ATSC

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:45:46 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

THE FIRST PERSON WHO CAN PROVE THAT ATSC A/65 PERMITS THE TRANMISSION OF GPS TIME VALUSS WILL RECEIVE $100 FROM JOHN WILLKIE. THE FIRST PERSON WHO CAN PROVE THAT ATSC A/65 REQUIRES THE TRANSMISSION OF GPS TIME VALUES WILL RECEIVE $100.

John, you can please donate my $100 to the charity of your choice. A/65C states:

"system_time - A 32-bit unsigned integer quantity representing the current system time as the number of GPS seconds since 00:00:00 UTC, January 6th, 1980. The count of GPS seconds and leap second count shall be accurate and correct to within plus or minus one second, for a direct main broadcast signal RF receiving device, as timed at the arrival in the decoder of the Transport Stream packet carrying the last byte of the CRC. The STT seconds count should be set to the next second and sent approximately 2T milliseconds before the seconds count is due to increment, where T represents the average number of milliseconds between TS packets identified with the SI base_PID (0x1FFB). If one or more translators and/or repeaters are in the RF delivery path that introduce processing delays that impact the overall STT timing accuracy, the STT timing should be adjusted in the translated/repeated signal.

"GPS_UTC_offset - An 8-bit unsigned integer that defines the current offset in whole seconds between GPS and UTC time standards. To convert GPS time to UTC, the GPS_UTC_offset is subtracted from GPS time. Whenever the International Bureau of Weights and Measures decides that the current offset is too far in error, an additional leap second may be added (or subtracted), and the GPS_UTC_offset will reflect the change. "

Clearly, A/65C requires that system_time be expressed as GPS time, and that a GPS to UTC offset factor also be transmitted. You lose.

This offer expires when/if the ATSC modifies the System Time Table section of A/65. I need not worry about my bank account: this type of challenge helps eliminate pockets of ill informed commentary.

I'd worry if I were you.

ATSC A/65 (which I havent read in pertinent part this year, but which I know much better than Bert and John Shutt) requires stations to transmit current UTC time as a 32-bit unsigned integer, which I call "ATSC_seconds." There is also a field in the STT that permits sending an 8-bit unsigned integer that is added to ATSC_seconds to determine GPS time.

John, you are absolutely wrong, and it is going to cost you $100. You have it exactly backwards. As stated above, A/65 requires stations to transmit the current *GPS* time as a 32-bit unsigned integer, which reflects the current number of *GPS* seconds that has elasped since 00:00 UTC January 6th, 1980. That is the definition of GPS time, not "ATSC_seconds." The GPS_UTC_offset value is then used to derive UTC from the transmitted GPS time, and then the resulting UTC is used in conjunction with daylight_savings (sic), and local UTC offset to calculate local time.

The current GPS_UTC_value is 14. One sign of a bad PSIP implementation is if the start time of various programs has a second value of 14 (or whatever the PSIP generator GPS_UTC_offset value is set to). This incorrect, since program times are always in UTC.

I agree, and I never stated in any of my postings that program times were given in GPS time. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

What trips mere mortals is what the 32-bit time value represents. It is the count of GPS seconds since January 6, 1980. You may note that is the date that GPS became operational.

The reason the 32-bit value is the count of GPS seconds is a simple one: ATSC_seconds always have to be continuous and increment by one for each second elapsed. Counting UPS seconds won't work, since every couple years, the time count becomes discontinuous for one second when the GPS_UTC_offset is incremented by one. (This is done because the GMT/UTC time standard is not as accurate as the one used in GPS.)

I'm sorry, John, but I don't know what UPS seconds are.

I do count GPS seconds, however, and convert to UTC time using GPS_UTC_offset. However, that aside, this mere mortal knows that UTC time includes leap seconds periodically so that UTC time remains reasonably in sync with the rotation of the Earth, which is not stable. As far as I know, UTC and GPS both use equally stable time references.

So: PSIP NEVER, NEVER, NEVER gives GPS time; it can only use UTC time and give a value that is used to derive GPS time. (If everything is set correctly.) To employ a consistent time base, PSIP generators must provide at least once per second a count of the number of GPS seconds that have elapsed between UTC January 6, 1980 and the current time in UTC.

I NEVER, NEVER NEVER said that PSIP *GIVES* GPS time. I said PSIP must *PROVIDE* GPS time to the receiver, along with a GPS to UTC correction factor. Nothing you have written has this far dispelled me of that notion.

BTW, stations get fined for not having accurate time in their STT. ATSC A/65 requires an accuracy within one second. I should also note that time of day from the phone company is not an accurate time reference: it can be up to 10 seconds off, in my experience. I've checked hundreds, if not thousands of times.

Ah, John, but the question that was being debated was "can stations be fined for providing UTC seconds in the system_time variable, and a null value in the GPS_UTC_offset variable?"

Thus far your musings have not addressed that question.

John