[opendtv] Re: Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004 March 31

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:17:39 -0500

From Mark's Memo:

>      - Cable/DTT must-carry - It is traditional for=20
> broadcasters to want
> it and for cable to oppose it, but Entravision, a=20
> broadcaster, told the
> FCC it opposed full must-carry for DTT because the bit-rates required
> could squeeze its stations off cable:
> <http://www.freepress.net/news/article.php?id=3D2840>

I think they're worried that if broadcasters ask for too much they might =
get *all* must-carry thrown out. Specifically, the multicast must-carry =
is what they think unwise to request.

This seems more a political move than anything to do with spectrum =
usage. Because in terms of spectrum, if they want NTSC + DTT must-carry, =
which they do, then whether the DTT is a multicast or a (sports) HDTV =
single program, not a lot of difference.

Not clear to me whether cable systems would be happier to provide each =
broadcaster a variable bandwidth, between maybe 7 MHz on the low end to =
9 MHz on the high end, or whether they would go ahead and assign a =
constant bandwidth. On the other hand, if must-carry consisted of a =
fixed 3 MHz only, ...

Good work, Craig. Maybe the shouting has ended.