[opendtv] Re: Will Femtocells Save LTE?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:52:43 -0400

Sorry, Craig, but you misunderstand the problem.

It may even be true that femtocells are most useful indoors, because it is probably true that indoors is where most people are busiest with their smartphones. But the idea of femtocells is simply to create, in a *compatible* with regular-sized outdoor cells, a much more dense set of cells. You are simply reducing the RF link length, in order to greatly increase spectrum reuse.

This is not WiFi!

Yes, I understand that femtocells use the 3G radio today. But you are the one who did not understand. So once again...

Voice traffic is not the major problem, although the quality of voice service could certainly be improved. The point is that it is high priority but rather low bandwidth traffic. The primary purpose of femtocells is to move your voice traffic off of the cellular network. These cells are also capable of handing off data traffic to the wired network, but this just duplicates the functionality of the OTHER radio in the smart phone.

WiFi plays an important role as well. A smart phone will attempt to use WiFi rather than cellular broadband when it is available. Thus in my house or the brewery my phone ALREADY moves any data traffic off of the cellular network. IF no WiFi is available then a femtocell can be used for data.

I've been reading detailed reports about the data files that Apple is storing on iPhones, which some reports have incorrectly assumed are tracking your location. In reality Apple is downloading a database of local cell towers and WiFi hot spots to the phone to assist with staying connected and to support location based services. Other reports yesterday suggest that Apple and Google are constantly building and updating a massive database of cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots.

The underlying philosophy is the same - move the mobile traffic to a wired network when possible. And yes, using local RF links to maximize spectrum reuse.

Remember when radio telephones depended on perhaps one operator in every city? Well, cellular telephony got away from that, allowing the spectrum to be reused over and over again, within that city. And femtocells take it another step further.

Did you pay attention to their mention of cell antennas on light poles, for example?

Yes, I even joked about putting antennas at intersections instead of red light cameras.

This is already happening in some cities with WiFi.s a

But it does not work as well when there is a mix of higher and lower powered signals using the same spectrum. If there is a "high powered" cellular tower using that frequency, you cannot reuse that spectrum with an overlaid network of femtocells on the same frequency.

As I pointed out, these lower powered devices are best for filling in holes, especially in buildings where the signals from the cell towers are blocked. AND they are useful in locations where there is very high traffic like train stations, since the tiny RF footprint allows spectrum reuse within that location.

 When I am at home and work (or in the hotel where I am currently staying)
 my cellphone ALREADY uses WiFi for data.

That's not femtocells. That's perhaps picocells. Femtocells are standard 3G or 4G cells, only a lot smaller in area of coverage.

Yes Bert. You are ignoring the point. Smartphones ALREADY use WiFi to take traffic off of the cellular network. And when the carriers move to VOIP instead of dedicated voice channels, then the voice traffic can also move to WiFi 0 you would not even need a femtocell. So in essence femtocells are a temporary solution - something ELSE the telcos can sell you to help them manage their voice networks.

When we move to 4G LTE networks with VOIP, your smartphone will constantly be looking for WiFi hot spots to take traffic off of the expensive telco networks.

Just like regular cells, they use exactly the same spectrum assigned to that service provider. They simple REUSE the spectrum more effectively.

EXACTLY, but only in areas where their low power levels exceed the levels of the signals from the cell towers.

This does a whole lot more for personal wireless comms than adding maybe four 20 MHz slices, by grabbing all that TV spectrum. But, as I said, it doesn't have the same dramatic feel. Still, it is the FCC's job to understand these tradeoffs. Their advisory council figured it out. Will the FCC listen? Or will they charge along, come hell or high water?

In reality BOTH are necessary. There are many areas where you can off-load traffic to WiFI, and there are some areas where you can use micro, pico and femtocells to achieve improved spectral reuse. But there are many other areas where the only solution is more spectrum to handle the rapidly increasing demand for mobile broadband. Tiny cell footprints are not going to help much along the Interstate highways unless you place them at 200-500 meter intervals.

You can only push spectral re-use so far. At some point you need more frequencies to handle more traffic.