[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:59:43 -0500

At 11:41 AM -0600 12/15/04, Doug McDonald wrote:
>  > And how can you provide such commentary on something you have never seen?
>BEcause I have seen professional 480 upconverted to 720, and you can
>tell teh difference between it and real 720p.

NO SIR. You have seen compromised 480P upconverted to 720P, and you
have seen a great deal more 480i upconverted to 720P.

At BEST, what you have seen is 720 x 480, with 4:2:0 MPEG-2 encoding.

YOU HAVE NOT SEEN:

4:4:4 Video from a 1024 x 576@50/60P camera, because no such
commercial products exist. There are some 960 x 480@60P cameras in
use in Japan by NTV, and they do look very good, but the only place
you could have seen this stuff was in a booth or hospitality suite at
NAB a few years back.

AND YOU HAVE NOT SEEN:

1280 x 720@60P 4:4:4 source that has been resampled to 1024 x
576@60P, although this is not difficult to do today. I have, and it
looks spectacular. But more important, it compresses more efficiently
than 720P, so I can deliver HIGHER QUALITY (less compromised) samples
on average than 720P at the same bit rate, and the 576P will show
less stress when the information content stresses the encoder.

So please stop trying to compare to something that YOU HAVE NOT seen.

>I'll take you up on that, as soon as full-bandwidth 1080@24p
>is available and a 1080 LCOS set is able to do 24p.

I'm waiting...

>  > For some reason you seem to think that motion pictures rely on high
>>  resolution.
>I'm talking television. DVDs can be from TV, you know.

Yes I know...and they suck, because the source is all interlaced -
the de-interlacing by progressive DVD players and DTV monitors of
480@60i still leaves much to be desired.

Perhaps when the next generation of DVD is available we will start to
see higher quality TV delivered via DVD. And when this happens, I
will be able to put together a disc that will PROVE what I am saying.
Of course, this assumes that this new format will allow real
flexibility in the source formats, which is NOT a given. It would not
surprise me if the new HD DVD formats have the same format
restrictions as existing digital SD  and HD products.