[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:13:22 -0500

At 8:38 AM -0600 12/15/04, Doug McDonald wrote:
>That's not HD at all. Period. It would be obviously and totally
>inferior to 1080x1920@24p, which is what HD-DVDs should be.

I did not say it was HD. I said it would be comparable to HD to the
viewer when upconverted by an HD display.

And how can you provide such commentary on something you have never seen?

Furthermore, I challenge you to tell the difference between 1920 x
1080@24P and 1280 x 720 @ 24P on ANY DISPLAY of your choosing that is
less than 100 inch in diagonal, viewed at 3.3 picture heights.

For some reason you seem to think that motion pictures rely on high
resolution. This simply is not the case, despite the fact that
Hollywood seems to be hung up on 4K x 2k. Unless you want to examine
film grains, there is very little in motion pictures that cannot be
faithfully reproduced with 1 Mpixel formats. And that little extra is
what you pay for when you go to the theater to watch a movie on a
30-40 foot screen.

>  > Just because we couldn't see it on almost all current displays (1080i or
>>    720p fixed) doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.
>>

>That last is false ... it CAN be easily seen, and noticed,
>as it is actually AVAILABLE TODAY, almost every day. It
>is visible on Fox OTA TV. It is clearly inferior to true HD 720p.
>
>Craig (the >>), you really NEED to get true HDTV on a
>respectable 720p or 1080p pixel-perfect 50 inch display
>in your own home!

Doug

Despite the fact that I do not currently choose to bring true HDTV
into my home at this time, I probably have spent more hours watching
more different kinds of HDTV displays than yourself. I have been
doing this for two decades, and have had the privilege of seeing many
side-by-side demos over the years.

I do plan in the coming year to buy a 50 inch DLP RP display and to
feed it properly. The 1280 x 720 resolution of this display will
provide more sharpness than we will be able to take advantage of from
ALL of the locations from which it will be viewed (9 feet for the
couch and recliners, 20 feet for the informal dining table and 25
feet from the island in the kitchen).

Once again, I must remind you that you have NO BASIS for the
comparisons I am making.  I doubt seriously you have ever seen 1024 x
576 @ 60/72P with 4:4:4 color, except perhaps in a digital still
image.  I will agree that 1280 x 720 is visibly superior to both 720
x 480 and 720 x 576, for both interlaced and progressive source.

Just for grins, what percentage of the TVs in the U.S. will be 50" or
larger by the end of this decade?

By 2020?

By 2030?

Remember, we are talking about products and services (content)that
are being optimized for the masses, not the niches.