[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:38:20 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

>>What I would like to see is 1024 x 576 @24P with full vertical detail
>>and full color detail (4:4:4). I am virtually certain that this would
>>compare very well with 720@24P using 4:2:0 encoding when upconverted
>>to 720P.

That's not HD at all. Period. It would be obviously and totally
inferior to 1080x1920@24p, which is what HD-DVDs should be.

\
> I agree 4:2:0 is way too sparse. (as is 24 FPS)
>
> But why screw around?  If they made HD-DVD's with modern codecs they
> could probably use 4:4:4 at 1080p@24.  It is true that 1024x576 RGB
> could look very good but we might as well go the whole way once we can
> afford the bits.
>
> Just because we couldn't see it on almost all current displays (1080i or
>   720p fixed) doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

That last is false ... it CAN be easily seen, and noticed,
as it is actually AVAILABLE TODAY, almost every day. It
is visible on Fox OTA TV. It is clearly inferior to true HD 720p.

Craig (the >>), you really NEED to get true HDTV on a
respectable 720p or 1080p pixel-perfect 50 inch display
in your own home!

Doug McDonald