[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:18:03 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The interlaced camp has had decades to perfect their
> HD products. Progressive cameras were virtually
> non-existent when many of the decisions about HDTV
> were made, both in Japan and later in the U.S. Thus
> early progressive scan products were compared with
> mature interlaced products.   At least the Europeans
> have the benefit of waiting to see how things have
> worked out in the real world.

Since the standard allows for 480i and 480p, 1080i and
1080p (24 and 30 fps only), and 720p, I'd say all bases
have been covered.

If progressive scan cameras and progressive scan
displays become the norm rather than the exception,
as they seem to be doing at a rapid pace, I'm not sure
why any broadcaster would stick with interlaced
transmission. UNLESS tests show that deinterlaced
1080 at 60i provides higher quality than 720 at 60p,
in upcoming 1080 line fixed pixel displays. *If*
this is shown to be the case, then I'd expect 1080
at 60i to be the only surviving interlaced format.

This has never been an either/or proposition. I'm
really curious why it is made to sound like one, so
often. CRTs are on their way out, so whatever
criteria were based on optimizing to CRTs will
become obsolete, IMO.