[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:03:33 -0700

Gentlemen,

In this discussion, aren't we leaving out the issue of foreign markets? As
earlier pointed out, I am sure 720p 50 converted to the US market will look
a lot better than 1080i 50 converted.

Also, is there anyone that answer my earlier question: has anyone tried the
practical demonstration of what John Watkinson outlined in the Microsoft
paper? It seems fairly straightforward to do: namely format resize from
720p at acquisition to 480p for encoding and transmission and upon
reception format resize to 720p. Mr. Watkinson states that the oversampling
is only really needed at acquisition and display for reasonable 'HD'.

Terry Harvey