[opendtv] Re: White spaces and 700MHz D Block could be part of new US spectrum plan

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:35:15 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> That's the point Bert. The goal is to provide signals that
> sufficiently exceed the threshold for reliable service.
> Unfortunately the big stick approach does not provide this.
> Instead it provides some areas of a market with signals that
> are too strong and can overload a receiver, some areas where
> the signal strength is in the range needed to provide reliable
> service, and some areas where the signal is marginal or
> insufficient to achieve reliable reception.

No, Craig, such generalities will never give you meaningful answers. You'll
just argue in circles.

It is **ridiculous** to expect TV broadcasters to install a cellular scheme
that can compete, on a power density basis, with cell schemes meant to serve
tiny hand-held phones with extremely inefficient receive antennas. And do so
while remaining in business.

Small area schemes, like WiFi or cellular WiMAX, 3G, or 4G, work on the basis
of the strongest signals being the desired ones. Larg*er* area schemes, the
ultimate being satellite, but also any scheme that requires longer range RF
(e.g. also to be economically viable), will result in lower power densities
than the small cellular. EVEN IF you install a network of lower powered
translators or SFNs, you still won't be able to compete against that 100 mW
transmitter in the adjacent apartment to yours.

> ONLY the last one is susceptible to interference from devices
> sharing the spectrum that use auto-detection, and even here it
> is possible to augment auto-detection with GPS and database
> driven choices about available channels.

Not like I'm advocating zero use of white spaces. It seems obvious to me that
in order to do this right, you simply use the GPS-based idea you have there,
and simply do not permit the auto-detection option. It's not like any of this
is a mystery, Craig. We OTA users have seen interference sources cropping up on
a steady basis in the past years, and this is one source that is COMPLETELY
predictable and totally uncalled for.

Every technical solution has its limitations, Craig. One size does not fit all.

Let's even out the playing field, Craig. Let's have the FCC allow "white space"
devices on the DBS and GPS frequencies. I'm waiting for the anguished wailing.