[opendtv] Re: White spaces and 700MHz D Block could be part of new US spectrum plan

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:38:48 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> First there will be a detectable signal from more than one
> transmitter.

Numbers, Craig. If there is signal from more than one tower, show me what the
total would look like. (Hint: it doesn't make as much difference as you might
think. Take distances into account. And do the math, or ask someone you trust
to do the math.)

> Second, in the unlikely event that there is no detectable
> signal, the device will still need to protect known channels
> in the market based on GPS and database information.

Then, please explain, why bother with the error-prone auto-detect option at
all??? Allow use of white spaces using the same rules as any well-managed
transmitter site would have to follow in that market.

>> What if this gizmo is working fine, but the user turned it
>> on at 1 AM, after I turned off my transmitter for the night?
>> (Not all stations broadcast 24/7.)
>
> Then it is not interfering with your signal.

This list is great because we get to learn so many new twists. But we need to
retain that knowledge. If you do the numbers, or have a trusted person do them
for you, and take into account all the good stuff we've learned on here, you'll
see a different picture emerge.