[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:25:11 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> White paper from CEA IMPROVE THE PREAMP VICE THE TUNER:

Certainly Mark Schubin's reception problems are not
caused by a lack of antenna preamp.

> Many people don't want to invest in an outdoor antenna
> that is prone to being blown away in a storm, has to be
> properly grounded, requires frequent maintenance, looks
> ugly and costs perhaps as much as 6 to 12 months of
> cable service.....each time it has to be replaced.

Knock on wood, but this has certainly not been my
experience. E.g., installed one reasonably priced yagi
in 1972, at a friend's place in Baltimore, while I was
going to school. It's still there. No, it didn't cost
anywhere close to a year's worth of cable. Maybe two
months worth of cable. (The RS double bowtie costs less
than one month of cable for many people.)

Of course, my preference is to avoid the fancy stuff,
such as mast-mounted amps. They make good sense in some
ways, but not in other ways. I have a small RS antenna
amp inside, where the down-lead enters. Been there
silent, cool, and ignorable since 1983.