[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:13:29 -0500

Tony Neece wrote:

>Sad to hear that, Bob. =20
>
>I am hoping someone can tell me why the DVB receivers are cheaper, =
>easier to
>build.  I have a basic understanding of both 8vsb and COFDM, and they =
>both
>seem pretty complex to me.  COFDM with it's thousands of seperate =
>channels
>to detect, demux into one with all those packets to identify, delay and =
>put
>back in order, wow, seems like a TALL order to me.
>
>I wonder how big the part patent issues play in this.
>
>Tony

Don't know how true this is today but it was true that DVB-T royalties
were in the order of $.60 while 8-VSB was around $6.00. Of course the
royalty package for a country like Brazil were lowered for 8-VSB to
match DVB-T since Brazil was still in the decision making stage, still
is, while the 8-VSB crowd didn't have to negotiate with the US since
they made direct contributions up here to our political system.

After all $6 is not much more percentage wise of a $300 8-VSB receiver
than $.60 is of a $50 DVB-T receiver.

Its all in how you look at things.

(Off subject) You know when I was in the service, Army intelligence, if
we passed classified information to anyone it had to be identified as
such and the person receiving it had to have the security clearance
commensurate with the classification and be informed verbally if the
information was verbal. I didn't have to worry because I didn't have
access to the really good stuff nor access to the world. And had no idea
how much I knew that the world didn't. Like the coming invasion of
Cambodia, presence of B-52's flying missions from Okinawa to Vietnam and
the very real SR-71 which I liked to watch take off for flights over
China. Leaks caused people to die in Vietnam in a very direct way then
and sometimes the affects and the leak were all too well known.

 So Cheney goes to the CIA to find out what he can on Joe Wilson.
Someone volunteers that his wife is an agent and should have informed
Cheney of her status and the fact that her identity is classified.
Cheney has the clearance and understanding of what classified means. He
then passes this information to others in his office (all of whom have
high security clearance and the knowledge of what that means) and
likewise tells each person he informs that Wilson's wife's identity is
classified. Anyone of those who tells the press is leaking classified
material. Something Bush said he would fire such a person for. Later
changed to only if convicted.

It is hard to break this chain with the statement "I didn't know her
identity was classified". That is insulting.

The fact is the CIA, the source of the information, was upset enough to
start this whole investigation so I think they probable followed
protocol. Who didn't? Who didn't inform someone that this was classified
or if they were informed then they knowingly leaked classified material.
That is truly sick, surely unpatriotic and as the senior Bush said
treasonous. If outing Wilson's wife is not technically a crime for some
insane reason it should be and it is at least incredibly unprofessional
and ethically criminal.

Did the CIA do this to one of its own? I doubt it. I think they all knew
exactly what they were doing.

Bob Miller