[opendtv] Re: Where is television heading?

  • From: "GerryK" <gerryk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:10:44 -0700

Very impressive, John.

The "non-scripted" programming is what free-to-air TV has devolved to
because of the economics of their situation.
If your market has shrunk because thinking people are watching programming
that they are willing to pay for, the the free-to-air people need to reduce
their
costs of production to the barest minimum, and rake in whatever market is
left for
cheap trash. That's where a lot of over-the-air television has drifted.

Fox has admitted that it's not high-brow, and with programs like
Judge Joe, Judge Judy, and their local talking head fluff,
HDTV just didn't seem like an important thing for them, until
they got pressured and they are now showing some sporting events in HDTV.

I don't think the technology has nearly as much to do with television as
people think.
It's more about having access to an audience, and delivering the lowest cost
programming
that the largest audience will tune into.

In my humble opinion, television is still heading where it has always
headed -
finding an audience, serving the audience at a low enough price point that
you can make money from the advertising

if the free market teaches that "you get what you pay for"
then free to air TV shouldn't be expected to be much more than
circuses for the masses - it's free!

Gerry Kaufhold