[opendtv] Re: Whatever happened to...

Mark Schubin wrote:
The multiplication of media at the Metropolitan Opera happened.  If you're at the PBS
Technology Conference next week, come to my Friday presentation, subtitled "My Life
Since September."

In brief, we are transmitting live HD cinemacasts to sold-out movie theaters around the
world.  How sold out?  The live transmission of "Barber of Seville" on March 24
ranked well within the top-20 in U.S. weekend grosses, despite the fact that it was shown
only once.

Kudos & props! Color me extremely and sincerely impressed!

Any opinion of the quality of the (1080i?) motion-compensating HD frame-rate converters?

This all sounds like very interesting and challenging stuff though I do miss your Monday Memo's. I didn't care as much about the ad's but always followed the rest religiously.

- Tom

Why is it taking so much of my time?  Here are a few highlights from "Barber"
(just one of the series):
- 16 transponders on 13 satellites as well as three transoceanic fiber cables
- multiple motion-compensating HD frame-rate converters
- one-hour HD delays to compensate for the different starts of Summer Time in
North America and Europe
- 14 HD cameras and 30 recorders
- five robotic mounts, including two extendable towers and a track, all of
which had to be deployed in minutes
- a 600-foot live, backwards Steadicam move (ending at a live burro)
- shooting multicamera live in the control room itself (one intermission was
shot live in five different venues)
- live subtitling in multiple languages
- stereo, 5.1, and LT/RT sound, discrete and encoded
- coordinating live commercial U.S. radio, non-commercial U.S. radio, global
radio, and the HD cinemacasts, all of which sometimes share and sometimes use
different production elements
- coordinating the parking of production vehicles on three Manhattan blocks
with the fire department, the police, and local security

Wheeee!

But I'll try to get something out.

Sorry.

TTFN,
Mark

John Shutt wrote:

Mark's Monday Memo, Twang's Tuesday Tribune, Wolfsson's Wednesday Words, Those
Thursday Thoughts, Free Friday Fragments, and Schubin's Saturday and Sunday
Stuff?

I don't miss the television ads, but I do miss the industry roundup!

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx