[opendtv] What is the Value of Media If I Can't Watch It?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:22:15 -0700

If the MPAA or the MVPD or even an OTA broadcaster won't allow the
recording of their media so one can enjoying it at their convenience, what
is the value of it to the average consumer?  To me, practically to nothing.
If I can't watch the show because it only comes on at a certain time, then
most likely I cannot watch it.

Especially if it involves a series of programs.  I'm not going to get into
a series if I cannot watch all of them.  If I can record it, I know I get
to see the whole series.  This just makes another reason to consume media
via download (VOD), blockbuster.com, netflix, etc.  I recently enjoyed
HBO's series on John Adams through Blockbuster.com.  My wife and I were
able to watch each episode in order and in the time we were able to watch
it.  We could even stop it in the middle of an episode for whatever reason.
I think that most people are coming to a point where they expect this kind
of convenience.  Otherwise, forget it.

And if I buy a DVD and it won't play in my computer or some other device
that I expect to watch it in, the value goes down.  I'm not likely to buy a
DVD again unless I know I want to watch it on the one device it will work
on.  How many is that?  Just the one DVD player in the family room?  Forget
it.  I'm not going to buy 5 devices for each room to play 5 forms of media.
Nor will I buy the media in 5 forms to watch it in my choice of rooms.

There are lots of movies I would love to see in the theater (I like the big
screen and big sound) but cannot because they are gone before I can get to
a showing.  And the show times are not within my windows of opportunity.
So the theaters lose potential customers just by the nature of their linear
offerings.

I hope the media producers that want to prevent me from recording it
realize they lose me as a customer.  They should be focusing on getting the
media to me so that I can watch it when I want and watch it where ever I
want.  But if the producers won't release it that way and will only allow a
narrow opportunity to see it, it won't get seen as much, at least not by
me.  They may well have the right to do this, but then they must not be
wanting to maximize the sales.

The way you get someone to consume your product is allow them to consume
it.  If you stop them, they will look to another product.  Just my opinion.
But it is their call!

Dan