[opendtv] Re: Wha' Happened to the FCC?

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:05:56 -0500

Seamless splicer requires 12-15Mb/s (12 normal, 15 sports). More and more stations are going back to baseband out of the splicer and re-encoding or ASI out and rate shaping. There are more and more ways to get bits back into the control of the local Broadcaster. (Harmonic has a need function (in their Prostream 8000 product) we are just getting ready to try at a FOX affiliate...)

CBS strongly URGES the full bandwidth, but more and more folks are multicasting (stealing bits). With latest gen MPEG2 HD encoders, todays 15Mb/s 1080i looks better than 18Mb/s of just 2 years ago...

Remember...this is MASS MEDIA. If 85% of viewers have ~42" or less diagonal viewing, they will not see a change. For the 15% of the 15% watching OTA HD, it still looks impressive.

This is the subjective view of some...still plugging along!

Mark

On 3/10/2010 2:39 PM, Dale Kelly wrote:
Plus, with DTV, "affiliate" only means that one of the sub channels carries the content of one of the major TV networks. That's all it means. The other sub channels are at the discretion of the station group. Isn't this so?

Not always.
As I recall:

The Fox affiliation contract cedes them control of the entire 19 Mb stream. Perhaps this has changed in the last two years but I doubt it.

CBS, due to their concerns about the poor performance of 1080i, restricted what affiliates could do in that area. Given receiver improvements over the years that may no longer be the case, or at least it shouldn't be.

Perhaps someone still active in broadcasting can provide current status of network policies.

Dale
----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>