[opendtv] Re: Wha' Happened to the FCC?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:51:58 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> That does seem to be the case.   I don't really know what the
> broadcast industry should be doing.  But I would have much more
> sympathy for them if they appeared to be trying to do at least
> something.

Concur with that much. My impression is that broadcasters are looking to mobile
DTV as the CE and media companies are looking to 3D these days. Both seem to be
banking heavily on these two silver bullets.

However, even if broadcasters don't get more pro-active in creating a good
freeview system, *if* viewership has increased measurably after the transition
ended, that has to be taken into account and allowed to go on. We keep reading
anecdotal evidence that something like that may have occurred. Has it? Or is it
occurring?

Also, the rules that apply to OTA broadcasters have to change, to be on a level
playing field with the MVPDs. At the very least, the national cap HAS to go.

And then, if they prefer to flop, no one should prevent them from doing so,
needless to say.