[opendtv] Re: Wha' Happened to the FCC?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:24:22 -0500

There have also been many surveys showing that, for local news, people turn to broadcast TV above any other medium (including the Internet, radio & newspapers). Of course, as has been pointed out by others, that broadcast TV is usually delivered other than off-air.

TTFN,
Mark

On 3/2/2010 3:52 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Broadcast TV as a public safety channel has never been all that
reliable - Radio does a far better job as mobile and portable
receivers that DO NOT rely on "mains power" are ubiquitous. And
now wireless broadband provides on demand access to the
information we once needed broadcasters to supply.
I used to believe that too. Part of what you say is certinly true, like the
power mains part (unless you buy one of the rare battery powered DTVs), but it
all depends how the new DTV stations decide to reinvent themselves.

This past nasty, ugly, annoying winter has made me appreciate what the TV weather
subchannels CAN do, if they put their mind to it. Channel 7-2, from the ABC affiliate
here, has 24/7 weather from something called "accuweather" as well as from the
local meteorologist Doug Hill. So it shows the latest local and national weather always.
They show all the needed graphics, including radar loops and 5-day (or 7-day?) forecasts,
the type of info that is simply not available over radio.

In tornado weather, they give precise locations and motion of the tornados, on
a map.

Only WJLA has evolved the service to this level, in DC, so far. It seems more
up to date than even Intellicast on the web. Or at least, the analysis is more
up to date, if not the actual radar image. You watch for a few minutes and get
a good idea of what's about to happen weather-wise.

On the paying for spectrum angle, I get the distinct impression that those who
are addicted to subscription services would be just as happy if everyone else
felt their pain too. Heh heh.