[opendtv] Re: Way ON topic

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:28:46 +1300

It has been widely commented on opendtv that broadcasters in the USA have
been unwilling to advertise the fact that the coming transition is imminent
(so get an  ATSC STB ).
What requirements have been set down to ensure broadcasters adequately
inform the public of the impending change? What form will this take - will
they be required to do blanket commercials stating the changeover to take
place months or weeks before the event?

I can imagine that the awareness campaign is not likely to be embraced by
broadcasters until the very last minute.

I notice here that TVNZ are about to launch FTA DTV in early May but there
has been very little marketing of this new platform. Nobody is promoting it
- yet. Sounds familiar?

Does the DTV transition in the US offer the majority of current analog OTA
customers sufficient advantages to compel them to make the change willingly,
i.e. how many of them will be impressed by the better picture quality, both
from a resolution and interference aspect?
If the majority are not willing to change until pushed you may as well do it
now as wait. Why not?
Once upon a time, when mains power changed from DC to AC, this must have
happened with the blessing of all. The appliance dealers could supply a
whole mess of new fangled gadgets and the customers wanted these. The
electric power  retailers would now sell a whole lot more energy and
distribute it more efficiently. Everybody won. Colour TV had similar
popularity.

So if ATSC receivers are now viable and relatively cheap, and HDTV would be
embraced by all once educated, who is paying who to not promote OTA HDTV?

Regards
Barry

On 3/7/07, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps I should fully disclose that I have shaved at least once
in my life,
but owing to having signed non-disclosure agreements, I cannot
provide the names of the shaving systems manufacturers nor
whether any was electrically, wound-spring powered or hand operated.
Nor can I specify the brands of shaving soap [if any] I have employed.