[opendtv] Re: Walled Gardens

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:23:24 -0800

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So Kon and others have expressed some concerns about the walled garden
> aspect of the iDevices and the Apple stores. This morning I see that more
> than 1 million iPhone/Touch users have downloaded the DirecTV remote DVR
> programming app, and that more than 12 million remote recordings have been
> scheduled. This has been so successful that Dish and AT&T are offering a
> similar app, and DirecTV now offers the same app for Android and Palm
> devices.
>
> Perhaps walls may not matter so much in a connected world?

Directv already offers a web-based scheduler, and it does not use
Flash or even Ajax.

I'm willing to bet you their app is a simple webkit wrapper that uses
the iPhone javascript/widget web 'SDK'. Like 99% of other apps out
there. You're paying money to load a web page that looks like an app.
Chuckle.

Regardless, I'm not clear what point you are trying to make. My
comparison to your point would be look, the iPhone can play an MP4, it
must not be a walled garden.

Cheers
Kon