[opendtv] Re: Waldman: No FCC Bailouts in Store for Media

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:16:16 -0800

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While conceding that the world is not a theoretical construct, Waldman
> stands behind his point that the FCC is not out to rescue traditional media
> or to bury them. Instead, Waldman believes the responsibility comes with
> trying to figure out what, if anything, the government needs to do to
> preserve some of their traditional public-service functions in a world being
> deconstructed by new media.

I'm curious to know if there have been any studies done in the past to
compare the viability of public broadcasting in the USA with the
viability of public broadcasting in foreign countries that obtain
funding through TV licensing fees, given the fact that all countries
essentially have internet connectivity for the vast majority of TV
sets (2nd and 1st world, 3rd world excluded).

Part of the viability of public broadcasting I would think comes with
the fact that the viewers place some value on the service and have
knowledge that the service exists. Being forced by law to pay a  tax
does just that. I don't recall if it was called a tax in South Africa,
but I do recall that everyone placed some value on local TV and
watched it religiously (whereas the opposite seems to be true over
here). Only when the programming went south did people start switching
to satellite TV.

Anyone in the UK care to comment?

Cheers
Kon