[opendtv] Virgin Media submits Canvas complaint to Ofcom

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:11:18 -0500

Heh heh. I've been wondering how long it would be before someone started
complaining about Project Canvas. Things in the UK can't be all that different
from here, can they? Apparently not.

If FOTA TV had not predated walled gardens, I doubt anyone could have invented
FOTA now. To me, Internet distribution of TV a la Project Canvas is like trying
to invent FOTA today.

Bert

---------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3840

Virgin Media submits Canvas complaint to Ofcom

Virgin Media has submitted a complaint to Ofcom requesting that the regulator
(in conjunction with the OFT) investigate the proposed internet-connected TV
platform Project Canvas.

Virgin Media said that they had submitted the complaint on the grounds that:
"It (Canvas) is anti-competitive, restricts consumer choice and jeopardizes the
future development of next generation TV in the UK."

In response, the Canvas partners Arqiva, the BBC, BT, C4, ITV and Talk Talk
issued a statement saying: "Project Canvas expects to discuss the grounds of
any complaint by Virgin Media with Ofcom. Our proposals remain unchanged and
will create an open standards-based internet connected TV environment within
which competition and innovation can flourish."

DTG Staff 03.08.2010