[opendtv] Re: Video compression artifacts and MPEG noise reduction

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:53:28 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yes Algolith offers a range of products for broadcasters that
> are used across a range of applications. But this is irrelevant
> to this thread, which YOU started by posting a story about a
> specific product for the removal of artifacts from content
> "damaged" by excessive MPEG-2 compression.
>
> My response was concerned with your misunderstanding of the
> uses and application of this specific product. Apparently you
> still do not understand that this product has no application
> for the construction of a broadcast multiplex, which may cause
> such damage to its content.

I re-read their original 2006 white paper, which I posted initially, and
their product description and its user's manual. And you're right that
the VNR-1000-HD Dual Video Noise Reducer is a post-processor of MPEG
compressed video, but I continue not to understand why you think it
doesn't apply to constructing a broadcast multiplex.

What does this mean to you?

"The VNR-1000-HD dramatically increases picture quality and/or reduces
bandwidth requirements for delivering content through cable, satellite,
terrestrial networks, and IPTV delivery platforms."

Sounds to me like the individual HD or SD streams are sent through this
box before being combined in the multiplex transmission?

Look at their openGear frame, on page 6 of their manual.

http://www.algolith.com/fileadmin/user_upload/broadcast/3031-8001UG-200.
pdf

Where does that chassis go, if not in the broadcast station?

> But post-processing artifact reduction techniques cannot be
> used until the damage is already done.

Okay, I concede that this VNR-1000-HD is only for post-processing, after
the damage is done.

In their original white paper, they wrote:

"Arguably, one might think that it's not such a bad trade-off, but
pre-smoothing is simply an irreversible process. Once they erase the
details, one cannot go about re-creating those details at the other
end."

I took that to mean that this new processor would be used up front, as a
prefilter. Instead, what they apparently mean is that you reduce the
prefiltering, allow SOME MPEG overstress, and then process that out
before creating the multiplex. Nothing else makes sense. This is not
just a product to be installed in a receiver.