[opendtv] Re: Video compression artifacts and MPEG noise reduction

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:51:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

yeah, the box, fool, is practically useless for that, since, uh, NOBODY takes a
compressed MPEG-2 stream back to baseband, then uses this filter, then
recompresses it.

And a "prefilter" would imply that it goes before any compression, not in the
middle of a decompression/compression daisy chain.  Kind of hard at the
beginning of a chain to know the noise that would be encountered in the middle
of the chain.

Indeed, taking a compressed MPEG-2 stream down to baseband would actually
impose noise JUST BY ITSELF since MPEG-2 compression is lossy and asymmetrical.
 So, you'd be lucky if the "prefilter" was able to remove the noise caused by
the decompression to baseband.

The market for this device, Bert, is most likely YOU.  Let us know how you fare
with it.