[opendtv] Re: Value Proposition (Mini-Mac)

  • From: Dan Buchler <DanBuchler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:47:11 -0600

Craig (et al)
I couldn't resist replying to Craig's Comments regarding the Mini Mac
announcement (1/12 and 1/13).

I too an a Mac zealot.  I run a G4 and several PCs, but my Mac is my primary
machine.

I have wanted for a long time to be able to use my  1999 Mitsubishi 55" as a
display device for DVDs played on my G4 or for surfing the web while
reclining watching the TV.  I experimented with moderate success in driving
the Mits from the G4 using "SwitchRes" software, but it would have been
expensive to provide permanent quality cabling to carry the VGA and digital
audio 70 cable feet to the Mits and the display resolutions are not ideal.
So I temporarily shelved this multi-media application

Meanwhile, I am now planning to upgrade my HDTV to one of the new Samsung or
other DLPs with DVI input which offer DVI input and 1280 * 760 resolution.
(Such a resolution is pretty common in the newer HDTVs.)  In my heart I
still want to use a Mac to drive the display.

Lo and Behold - the Mini-Mac announcement. The Mini-Mac's Radeoon 9200SE has
the horsepower to drive the big display, has a DVI output, and if the
software will support it, then the Mini-Mac is an ideal Multi-Media machine.
- will easily fit into the Hi-FI equipment cabinet.
- can be fitted with BlueTooth (internally or externally) to support a
BlueTooth keyboard/mouse (Bluetooth needed to provide adequate Wireless
range.)
- can be fitted with a 5.1 digital audio interface through USB
- will network with my existing home network of Mac and PCs.
All of this will work with the basic $500 machine and provide beautiful DVD
and Internet capability.  (My existing DVD player cost that much!)  Missing
of course is HDTV, but some external adapters may solve that problem.

Regards

Dan