[opendtv] Re: Value Proposition

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:14:33 -0500

At 10:22 AM -0800 1/17/05, John Willkie wrote:
>I THINK that a PC user, interested in upgrading their computer, would be
>better off upgrading to a WHOLE NEW DELL (an expensive PC brand) for less
>than just a dumbed-downMac CONSOLE.  Especially, when one considers the cost
>of application software.
>
>Mac enthusiasts think otherwise.
>
>If there are more than 1% of latent mac enthusiasts embedded in the vast
>hordes of PC users, this will double Mac's market share in the next three
>years.
>
>I doubt it.  Anybody want to put money on it?
>
>John (I can count my winnings now -- and again) Willkie (I've heard this
>mantra three distinct times in my life; the only result has been lowered
>market share for apples.)

I'll take that bet.

By the way, Mac market share is considerably higher than 1% today.

The Mac Mini is not targeted at latent Mac enthusiasts. although it
will meed the needs of some. It is not targeted at the enterprise,
but the early reviews are already suggesting that the Mini will do
VERY well in some areas of the enterprise.

You might do well John to study some of these things before you
spout-off.  You would be surprised how well Apple is doing in the
server market for example, where they ALSO offer a compelling value
proposition.

And did you notice in the earnings report that CPU shipments were up
26% in the last quarter? That was without the new low cost Mini. The
G5 iMacs are flying off the shelf. Many people who may take a look at
the Mini because of the price, may buy an iMac, if they are also
looking for a display, keyboard, etc.

And finally, there is nothing dumbed down about the mini. Nothing.

If you want dumbed down and cheap, buy a PC.