[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:13:32 -0800

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>While I have no problem on some levels with a subscription to a
>channel, and a channel subscription might be required for ala carte
>on an MVPD, for media on the internet, why not have ala carte at the
>program level?  I would much rather pay for an individual program,
>or, if I liked the series, pay for the season.  But I would not like
>to pay for all of ABC just to watch "Castle" or all of CBS to watch
>"Modern Family".  Then I am back to paying for bad programming that
>I don't want to pay for.
>
>Perhaps paying for individual programs would be more expensive in
>the long run.  But then, perhaps we wouldn't consume so much rotten
>media if we paid as we used.  There are only so many hours in a day.
>
>Dan

Craig Responded:

"Ala carte exists today at the program level, but it is VERY
expensive. You can buy complete seasons of many programs on DVD, or
save a few bucks and rent the DVDs. Or you can go to Amazon or iTunes
and rent or buy individual programs or season passes.

"I expect that eventually we will see the congloms cave to ala carte
at the program level. But before that happens they will do all they
can to get us to buy bundles such as Hulu Plus.

"We are dangerously close to the point where some people can say, for
$100 a month I'll just buy
the programming I want. But too much of the stuff people really want
is tied up in expensive bundles...like ESPN and an MVPD subscription."

Absolutely. I totally agree...on most of it.

I believe I've shared my media consumption habits.  But bare with me.  I
buy and rent DVDs for most of my programming, stream some, DVR some FOTA
programming, and even watch some FOTA "by appointment".

Where I disagree is that it is "VERY" expensive.  My cost per month for
media is no where close to $100 a month.  I do have about $450 invested in
the antenna, DVR/DVD player, and TV.  My only fixed monthly bill is $18 for
Netflix.  So I wouldn't consider it expensive and I can watch just about
everything out there.

There are two negatives to my methods.  First, I must wait a whole season
before a series is available on DVD.  But I try to be a patient man so no
problem here.  Second, I am limited on the sports I can watch.  I have a
few favorites but have simply chosen to limit them due to them not being
available through my outlets.

However, I think there is a really big positive: I chose what I watch.  I
think overall, I watch a much higher level of media than the average person
(although many of my wife's choices can be a bit questionable).  But who am
I to judge!

This paradigm for media consumption makes the most sense to me and fits my
budget with minimum negative impact.

And I believe a younger generation is going down the same path with a
heavier focus on streaming.  I like to poll my friend's kids to see what
they are watching.  Once I even got the response "Watch TV?  That is so
yesterday"  Of course, this youth didn't consider it watching TV when they
watched a cable network's series on their PS3 via Netflix.  I would really
like to see some numbers on how the youth are consuming media these days.

Dan

P.S.:  According to friend of mine who is a high school teacher, to the
average high school student, email is passe and if it isn't sent by text,
the message isn't received.