[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 08:39:14 -0500

At 9:08 AM -0800 11/17/10, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
While I have no problem on some levels with a subscription to a channel, and a channel subscription might be required for ala carte on an MVPD, for media on the internet, why not have ala carte at the program level? I would much rather pay for an individual program, or, if I liked the series, pay for the season. But I would not like to pay for all of ABC just to watch "Castle" or all of CBS to watch "Modern Family". Then I am back to paying for bad programming that I don't want to pay for.

Perhaps paying for individual programs would be more expensive in the long run. But then, perhaps we wouldn't consume so much rotten media if we paid as we used. There are only so many hours in a day.

Dan

Ala carte exists today at the program level, but it is VERY expensive. You can buy complete seasons of many programs on DVD, or save a few bucks and rent the DVDs. Or you can go to Amazon or iTunes and rent or buy individual programs or season passes.

I expect that eventually we will see the congloms cave to ala carte at the program level. But before that happens they will do all they can to get us to buy bundles such as Hulu Plus.

We are dangerously close to the point where some people can say, for $100 a month I'll just buy the programming I want. But too much of the stuff people really want is tied up in expensive bundles...like ESPN and an MVPD subscription.