[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:45:26 -0500

So, I can go with my PC and watch everything in the Apple Store, is what you're saying. Right? Just like I can go with any browser and watch content from fox.com or nbc.com, right?

With respect to music, TV shows, and movies that is correct. Everything in the store runs on Macs and PCs. There is even some free content if you want to see how well it works. Remember, this is a store; you can preview everything, but most content is for rent or sale.

You cannot run apps on your PC; at least not yet, although there is some talk about running apps on Macs in the future. And e-books are only available for the iPhone and iPad.

 Apple negotiates with the congloms and music companies to rent
 and sell their content through the iTunes store; this is similar
 to the way that Walmart and Amazon buy and resell content on
 physical media and through their download services.

My car has no trouble driving into the WalMart parking lot, nor do my PCs have a problem with Amazon, no matter what broswer I use.

And you PC has no problem running iTunes. Even if you do no own an iOS device.

Millions of PC users sync their iPods, iPhones and iPads with iTunes - syncing keeps common files in sync, such as your Outlook contacts, and safely backs everything up on you iOS device(s).

 To my knowledge Apple does not have any exclusive content deals.
 Rumors tonight say that they have finally negotiated with EMI to
 sell the Beatles library there will be an announcement in the
 morning.

Duh. You don't see where this will lead? Just like the MVPD model. And when they start to bundle, and you complain, you ain't getting any sympathy from me.

Apple runs the worlds largest electronic store for content Bert. Everything is ala carte.

There are persistent rumors that Apple will get into subscription services when they open the North Carolina data center. This makes sense - just look at the success of Netflix, which for some reason seems not bother you. If Apple does move to a streaming model, I seriously doubt they will abandon their existing business of renting and selling content. We'll have to wait and see what they do.

IF they create a streaming video service where you can choose the shows you want to subscribe to on an ala carte basis, what would you say?

What if Cliff could subscribe to Turner Classic Movies for $4.99 a month?