[opendtv] Ubiquitous Media Center Still Elusive

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:26:48 -0700

From:
The Apple TV (2010) Review
by Anand Lal Shimpi
10/4/2010

"....But Apple has to compete with more than itself in this field. The
Boxee Box and Google TV are both due to arrive later this year. Not
to mention the many other devices that already do much of what Apple
promises with the new ATV."

From NY Times:

Google TV Announces Its Programming Partners, but the Top Networks Are
Absent
By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER and BRIAN STELTER
Published: October 4, 2010

"...The major television networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - will not
participate, at least for the moment. However, several Internet companies
and media outlets, including HBO, CNBC, Twitter, Netflix and Amazon, will
work with Google to offer Web content and programming via television sets,
the company said. They will allow on-demand viewing or build apps for TV
screens."

I find it interesting in this day-in-age that for something to be a success
it must "catch-on" and take most if not all of the market share.  It seems
like for something to be a success, it must be the next "big thing".  What
is wrong with a niche market if it makes a profit and there are satisfied
customers?

Years ago, we had a whole discussion on what a "media center" is on a
theoretical level.  Here it is nearly a decade later and we are really no
closer.  The closest thing to it is the modern video game processors but
even they lack major content.  We seem to be able to only tack on some
portion of it to each devise including the DVR, video game, television, or
STB.  And now, GoogleTv and AppleTv are set to roll out products that are,
once again, nearly single use devices.

From a viewer's perspective, if someone were to find a way to get to ALL
(or even most) of the media out there in an orderly fashion and without the
need to have a lot of lawyers involved to display it, we might actually get
to buy a "media center".

From a content provider's prospective, if there were a way to send out my
content to anyone and get an appropriate amount of revenue for it and
without a lot of lawyers involved, it would be un-business like not to
provide it.

But it sure seems difficult to provide a solution that marries these two
perspectives.

Dan