[opendtv] Re: U.S. NEEDS A CLEAR PICTURE OF WIRELESS

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:04:12 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Subscriber fees make up about 1/3 to 1/2 of what consumers pay for
> an MVPD service - the rest covers infrastructure and operating
> expenses. And local ad revenues are on top of this.

Did you say this correctly? I think you mean that 1/3 to 1/2 of the subscriber
fees go to infrastructure costs, and the rest go to paying for the content? And
then on top of that, the MVPD gets the ad revenues too?

> Sorry Bert, but subscriber fees don;t work that way. For both
> broadcasters and cable networks, subscriber fees are based on the
> total number of homes served. EVERYONE pays, not just the people
> who watch a channel.

I understood that. I'm saying that if the MVPD pays a certain amount PER
SUBSCRIBER in a given market, then it makes sense that an OTA broadcasters
would pay a similar amount PER OTA HOUSEHOLD in that market. It makes no sense
at all to say that the OTA broadcaster would pay as if everyone in the market
were watching OTA. That's ridicuous. That would mean that the content owner
would get paid at least twice for delivery to the same household.

That's why you keep overemphasizing that subscription fees are necessary even
for OTA delivery.

> Cable and DBS charge separately for their infrastructure and
> operating costs.

How, Craig? What does the MVPD subscriber see as monthly bill aside from the
subscription fee?