[opendtv] UK widescreen formats

  • From: Dermot Nolan <dermot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv [opendtv]" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:24:23 +0100 (CET)

Two facts:
a) There are no PALplus receivers on sale anymore. I think Channel 4 analogue
used to broadcast in PALplus.
b) All DTV transmissions are either 16:9 anamorphic or 4:3. The BBC began
anamorphic 16:9 in 1998, I think ITN, the ITV News provider are going 16:9 in
December. Sky News is also anamorphic 16:9, as are most of the main terrestrial
channels. The remaining 4:3 broadcasters are usually niche pay channels and
other stations such as CNN, Fox etc which are carried on pay platforms. The
STBs and DTT enabled displays (IDTVs, plasma, LCD) all handle switching between
the formats automatically as these are set in DVB-T and DVB-S1/S2 systems by
the broadcasters with the appropriate signalling flag. Other formats can
usually be forced by the remote of the DTV display.
Kind Regards,
Dermot Nolan