[opendtv] Re: Transition report More VHF complaints

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:18:31 -0400

An engineer in the Tampa Bay area reports the following:

"Here's the story from Tampa Bay:

We haven't had too many complaints. Nor has WFLA. WEDU has powered-up on channel 13. I haven't heard whether they've had any complaints. WTSP is another story. They shut-down their UHF signal and powered-up on channel 10. Nobody .... NOBODY can receive them.

May well be a bandwidth issue with their transmitting antenna. I believe they are using their old channel 10 analog transmitting antenna.

I'm surprised that some stations have elected to put their digital signals on their former lowband analog channels.

In those cases, I'm pretty certain that system bandwidth is a huge issue. It's hard enough to get a flat passband on highband VHF.
Circular polarization brings another whole bunch of bandwidth/phase issues.

I'm watching a similar problem with WWTV, Cadillac, Michigan (9and10news.com). They have powered-down their UHF signals and repurposed their VHF channels.
Many complaints."