[opendtv] Re: Transition report

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 02:57:03 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:
I also question the bandpass response of the signal displayed on the
spectrum analyzer. Could this be caused by their CH 6 analog antenna?

It is a very linear roll off, could certainly be the transmit antenna.
Are they using the same antenna as was used for analog? If so, did you ever
look at the analog spectrum? If it is the same antenna shouldn't this
problem also have been present?
I pretty sure CH 6 is using their analog antenna for digital.

I didn't get a photo of their analog signal on the analyzer because they switched to their lower power backup analog transmitter, tower and antenna early Friday morning and THAT signal was mostly unwatchable with
the picture losing sync and noisy audio.

They then connected the main antenna to the digital transmitter about 2 AM Fri morning and tested it on air
because that's when I got RF Ch 6 digital scanned into my set top box.
Never enough signal to produce a picture but the box  locked it in.

When the new ten bay antenna arrives I'll set it up and take an analyzer picture to see if the signal slopes the same way. If its flatter then it may be my present receive antenna causing it, but with the relatively taller FM signals shown on the right of the
analyzer I doubt it.

Cliff