[opendtv] Re: Transition report

  • From: "James Albro" <jalbro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:14:01 -0400

Bert -

I don't think your specific case provides very much insight regarding the
effectiveness of ATSC broadcasting on VHF-HI channels.

As I understand it, you have two antennas, an Antennas Direct DB4 and a
Radio Shack double bowtie over screen.  Antennas Direct claims the DB4 has
almost 14 dB gain for UHF channels.  They make no claim as to gain at high
VHF.  Channel Master, which makes both 2-bay and 4-bay bowtie-over-screen
antennas, says they are UHF only and lists the VHF-HI gain as "N/A".  For
viewers who need to receive both UHF and high VHF channels they offer a
Digital Advantage antenna, essentially a UHF corner antenna with gain that
has a VHF dipole grafted on the back.  The high VHF gain is only 2 dB at
best and it's non-directional (as you would expect).  The addition of the
VHF-HI dipole increases the antenna width to 47 inches, compared to their
UHF bowtie-over-screen antennas that are only 25 inches wide.

So what you have are antennas with elements that are too short for the high
VHF band, that probably have negative gain at VHF-HI frequencies; which
therefore don't work well (or at all) for receiving high VHF stations.  Why
does the failure of these antennas to receive channels 7 and 9 for you
indicate that the stations' power levels are too low?  I'm actually sort of
surprised that you could receive WUSA at all with your setup.

Jim Albro