[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Cliff Benham <cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:34:45 -0500

Unless the FCC stipulates that satellite TV or Digital OTA for that
matter must be transmitted with greater
detail and clarity, it won't ever happen.
Not when more lower definition programs can be transmitted within the
same bandwidth as fewer HD programs.

As for giving people what they want, a week or so ago a survey by
Scientific Atlanta was mentioned here.
You can read the entire piece at:
http://webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?SESSIONID=&aId=6521

In it was revealed the following amazing information about the public
and HDTV:

"* Close to one in four (28%) of HDTV owners reported that they did not
get any special equipment from their service
provider to watch HDTV channels because the picture quality was already
improved with the purchase of an HDTV.

* 23% of HDTV owners did not invest in special equipment to watch HDTV
channels because a message at the beginning
of the programs they watch tells them that those programs are being
broadcast in HD.

* Nearly one in five (18%) reported that they believed the HD television
would give them high-definition channels without additional equipment."

P.T. Barnum was right. There is one born every minute.