[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:39:30 -0500

Bert,

All I know is what Bob reported, which was the prototypes he tested last
summer used front ends and 5th generation chipsets as supplied by LG for use
by other manufacturers.  Those commercially available modules did not
perform up to the LG prototype (I will suspend using the moniker "cold
fusion" in deference to Mark Schubin, but I think it still fits.)  If LG had
the front end problem solved as their prototype box demonstrated, why didn't
they include these innovations in the tuner blocks they sell to other
manufacturers?

So has it been solved?  Or merely demonstrated that whatever was different
in the prototype front end is not economical in commercial quantities and
price points?  As the Tootsie Pop commercial so aptly put it:  "The world
may never know..."

As for Zarlink, I'm sure the Welcome Mat is still out at the Schubin
residence.

John