[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:55:58 -0500

At 10:32 AM -0500 12/9/09, Hunold, Ken wrote:
Looks we've started up the old 720p/1080i argument again (in just a
slightly different form.)  This "church bus" has been joined by many and
is racing downhill at an ever-increasing rate of speed.

Let me try to divert the discussion into a "run-away truck" emergency
off-ramp, of sorts, by suggesting that 60 Hz is not a high enough frame
rate for football (either American or "metric") regardless of how you
slice the picture.  To me, there is no advantage for either a blurry
1280x720 frame or a blurry 1920x540 field.  The minimum frame rate seems
to be 3x the frame or related field rate (150/180 Hz.)  Evidence to
support this can be found in the 3x "Super Motion" system from the
1980's (Super Slo-mo to some) and some of the higher frame rate versions
being employed on sports broadcasts today.

We pushed very hard for a more versatile family of frame rates when the ATSC standard was developed. We even got Polaroid to build a 1280x720@72P camera to demonstrate the superiority of 72P over 59.94P. An interesting side note is that 36P actually works quite well for many applications, providing motion continuity that is far superior to 24P. More important, a 72P display did a much better job with 24P film source (triple shutter versus 3:2 pulldown), could present 36P with double shutter, and 72P native looked MUCH better with slo mo than 60P.

As Ken suggests, temporal oversamplng has many benefits, especially for slo motion replays. But it is not yet feasible to deliver these higher frame rates to the consumer, nor is it necessary. THere are limits to how much information a human observer can process too. 72P is more than adequate for real time video, and the sharpness of individual frames is good enough for many slo-mo applications. But Super Motion also has a place if you want to watch the rotation of the seams on a baseball traveling at 90 MPH.