[opendtv] Re: The right tool for the right job

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:15:10 -0500

At 1:12 PM -0500 1/14/05, Mark Schubin wrote:
>I have nothing good to say about Microsoft or its operating systems.
>When I last shopped for a computer, I strongly considered a Mac.  But I
>travel.  The 12-inch Mac laptops are at the upper limit of my size and
>weight requirements, but they do not include a PCMCIA slot.  So I got a
>Sony TR3 series, which comes loaded with more media-friendly software
>than I will ever use.

This unit must be several years old, as Apple has been shipping 12
inch Powerbooks with PCMCIA slots for several years. You probably
were looking at one of the first 12" iBooks.

To their credit, Sony builds some of the best PC laptops around, and
some of the most media friendly outside of the Mac.

I strongly suspect that you paid at least $1,000 for the Sony...

I completely agree about the right tool for the job.

Did you friend with the Mac that could not see the wireless network
have a Powerbook (brushed metal case)? The WiFi antenna sucks on many
of the early Titanium Powerbooks. It has improved somewhat since they
switched to aluminum.  My daughter's plastic iBook has better range
than my old G3 Powerbook, it in turn is much more sensitive than the
Titanium Powerbooks.

Are you using a PCMCIA WiFi card? The "external" antennas on these
can do a very good job.