[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:17:34 -0500

>I must have missed that challenge. The way I see it,
>as a consumer of TV, we very much have that already.
>We already have a national TV service, in the form
>of ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN, and PBS. We already have
>national ads, ads aired during prime time. The local
>content, introduced by the affiliates, as well as
>local ads, for the most part occur off prime time,
>when fewer people watch (I record and watch next to
>nothing that is not prime time).

You still missed it, or choose to ignore it.

A very significant percentage of the stations that deliver the
national networks are in the UHF spectrum because VHF channels are
not available in MANY markets - you know, that market-into-market
stuff you don't like to hear about Bert.

So now we have improved transmission technology and the ability to
synchronize transmitters, etc.

So I'll repeat the challenge again Bert.

Tell us how to create a six channel national TV service in the VHF
spectrum. Preferrably it should be NTSC, to serve all of those
existing receivers.  But if you can't tell us how to do this, I'll
give you an additional degree of freedom: you can use 8-VSB digital
transmission.

Some detail please. Punditry doesn't help us build anything.