[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: Henry Baker <hbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:57:28 -0800

Tom:

The answer is that the boundaries are not only not sharp, they are the
worst possible configuration from a mathematical point of view -- they're
almost fractal.  The other problem is that the boundary is time-varying,
and can change dramatically with the fall of a leaf, a drop of rain, a
passing car, an updraft of warm air, etc.  If you are on the edge between
two cells, even a few millimeters of movement can change you back and forth
between two cells, even though you are moving at a constant speed in the
same direction.  Depending upon the environment, you can also get varying
polarizations, so the signals can cancel out or reinforce.

Those beautiful hexagonal cells that the cellular companies used to
show to Congress and others are a figment of someone's imagination --
actual measurements are infinitely more complex.

For these reasons, frequency "reuse" is much more complex than a map-coloring
problem.

(For the record, the 4-color theorem only works for "simply-connected" regions,
which the edges of frequency regions are _not_.)