[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

At 2:55 PM -0500 3/17/05, Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:
>Low height-above-average-terrain broadcast antennas are not very good for
>DTV because multipath problems get out of hand.  That seems to me to make
>the small stick approach difficult to justify economically.  The towers
>still need to be high, even though effective radiated power is low.

I think we are talking about relative tower heights. We may need
towers that are somewhat taller than todays freestanding cell phone
towers, but we will not need 1,000, 2,000 foot towers, especially for
the gap fillers.

The mains will work fine at 200-500 feet depending on terrain and
network design. Gap fillers can be sized to the coverage area they
need to serve, and will typically be lower.