[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:49:08 -0800

I previously wrote:
>coverage could be significantly improved by using synchronous
>repeaters, distributed transmission or a combination of both.
>In some cases, translators will also be used but they are not the major
>solution. Of course, this is predicated upon the availability of DTV
>receivers with acceptable performance, which the current crop of
>Plug and Play receivers likely will not exhibit.

Clarification:
Translator channels are generally no longer unavailable in most markets
 but where we currently use them, they are;  a) used to extend a stations
overage into areas where terrain shields the main signal and b) often they
extend the signal to portions of the market that are beyond the station
grade B contours, which in many western markets is a common occurrence*.

In case a.) one could sometimes replace the translator using a simple on
channel repeater but often that won't work due to the fact that a degraded
main signal still exists in that location and will interfere with the
repeater.

In case b.) one is not allowed to use an on channel signal to extend a
stations authorized coverage area, for obvious reasons.

*Example, the San Francisco market is approximately 175 miles in
length and numerous terrain obstructions exist. Los Angeles
exhibits similar problems where distance and topography block stations
signals from many large populations, as happens in many other western and
mid western markets.