[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:47:29 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bottom line - very poor spectral reuse, with "noise"
> on half the channels from adjacent markets.

If Channel 2 or 11 were SFNs from Balt and from NYC,
those Ch 2 and 11 frequencies would STILL BE UNUSABLE
in Philadelphia. You just aren't getting it, Craig.

The only way to avoid that would be to convince the
owners of those Balt and NYC stations that they should
deliberately disenfranchise communities between the two
market centers. Only then could Ch 2 and 11 also be
used by Phila stations.

Which would be dumb. For one, because people in those
large areas work or play in the Balt or Phila markets.

Besides which, if every station willingly cut off its
signal from large areas between major market centers, to
create the buffer zones you seem to like, there would be
large areas of the East Coast with no usable OTA
signals.

> Wrong. It is highly inefficient. It is impossible
> to control interference between the big sticks,

That's nonsense. The way you control interference is
that you locate areas of co-channel interference or
low signal levels where it doesn't matter. Just as
they have done.

What you continue to miss is the concept of providing
ubiquitous coverage. I guess you're trying to make a
case that DBS is mandatory. I'm saying it is not.