[opendtv] The Transition Up North

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:21:11 -0500

"Like their Canadian counterparts, U.S. broadcasters had to finance the digital
buildout themselves. However, as the transition progressed, our industry
dedicated such expenditures with the understanding that the transition was a
partnership with the federal government, which took the initiative to end the
sale of analog sets, underwrite the cost of converter boxes and finance an
extensive public education program. And in the end, the results were better
than many of us had expected."

Unfortunately, the government giveth and the government taketh away.

Why don't Canadian stores just sell the decent and cheap STBs that were
subsidized here? Even without subsidies, they went for $50 to $60 or so. There
must be some left over, no?

Bert

---------------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/blog/105352

The Transition Up North

Despite pockets of reception problems that continue to plague some areas of the
United States, more than a year after U.S. broadcasters transitioned from
analog to all-digital, most broadcasters would probably agree that the
transition was a success. Of course, one might not have been so confident in
the days leading up to the analog shutoff-especially in the government's
response-but much of the handwringing over the public's reaction ended up being
unwarranted.

And that's the case in much of the world where broadcasters have made the
transition. Unfortunately for Canada, the transition to all digital
broadcasting is creating some turbulence that could only get worse as our
northern neighbor approaches its analog shutoff one year hence.

"A fascinating mess," is how one broadcast executive described Canada's current
state of preparedness for the Sept. 1, 2011 transition deadline. As was the
case in most other transitions worldwide, broadcasters are concerned about
financing the digital buildout coupled with a tepid government response to
consumer education and a lack of leadership. "In every other country where a
digital television transition has been planned, the national government has
played the pivotal leading role," broadcast consultant Wayne Stacey told TV
Technology in our p. 1 story. "But in Canada, the government is 'missing in
action.' No one is in charge, there's no money to aid the broadcasters and
public, and no real plans to explain why this is all happening and when."

Canada has had almost as much time as the U.S. in preparing for the transition,
adopting the ATSC standard in 1997, less than a year after it was approved by
the FCC. And the general assumption from Canadian broadcasters and regulators
was to take a "wait and see" attitude and observe how its southern neighbor
approached the transition. But so far, the country's broadcast regulators have
not moved forward on public education initiatives, nor made any attempt to push
for public financing to help consumers purchase digital decoders. According to
the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, Canada's
version of the FCC, approximately 826,000 to 857,000, a small fraction of the
country's 34 million inhabitants who rely solely on over-the-air TV, but like
elsewhere, those figures don't take into account the vast number of households
with second and third sets not connected to cable, satellite or telco.

Such concerns are not new. More than two years ago, CRTC chair Konrad von
Finkelstein in a speech to the 2008 Broadcasting Invitational Summit criticized
the country's broadcasters for "dragging their heels" in preparing for the
transition. "My great concern is that the industry will not be ready," he said,
according to Tech Media Reports. "There will be requests for delays and we will
have a crisis on our hands. This must not be allowed to happen."

Like their Canadian counterparts, U.S. broadcasters had to finance the digital
buildout themselves. However, as the transition progressed, our industry
dedicated such expenditures with the understanding that the transition was a
partnership with the federal government, which took the initiative to end the
sale of analog sets, underwrite the cost of converter boxes and finance an
extensive public education program. And in the end, the results were better
than many of us had expected. If there was one "lesson learned" that our
northern neighbors can take away from the U.S. experience, it's that
partnership is key to a successful transition.

Posted by Tom Butts at 08/24/2010 07:55:16 AM