[opendtv] Re: The PRV guy

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:58:58 -0500

At 2:55 PM -0500 1/18/05, Gary Hughes wrote:
>I still use a "Showstopper" (dumb name; we used to use that term
>for critical bugs).
>
>You have to pull the drive and load the new image onto it. There are
>tools for doing this and for extracting recorded bitstreams. I have
>the drive in mine mounted in a removable caddy for such purposes.

I am leaning in the direction of buying this unit for myself.

The first thing I noticed when I turned it on was the noise of the
disk drive. I assume that there are now drives with significantly
higher capacity, that are not a noisy. In an ideal world I could load
the new image onto a new drive, then install it.

As the box is rather large, I assume that it was provisioned for the
older full height drives. I presume that this gives you enough room
to mount a smaller drive in a caddy.

>As for "too many options", I use mine to tie together DirecTV (serial
>control), digital cable (IR blaster) and analog cable (built in tuner).
>I rather like having those inputs combined into one grid, minus all
>the channels I don't care about.

I was not critical of the design because it has so many options; this
is clearly an advantage in terms of system integration. I was just
noting that the resulting complexity can be daunting to less tech
savvy consumers.

My installation will be quite straight forward, unless I decide to
subscribe to digital cable or DBS.