[opendtv] Re: The New Mac Mini is All About Movies

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:17:43 -0800

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 07:47 -0500, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> As more consumption moves to the  OPEN system, the percentage of
> packets for which the walled garden service is compensated will
> decline. By compensated, I mean subscriber fees that are used to pay
> for content, not the monthly fee for broadband access. As long as the
> walled garden services offers broadband, they are opening their
> systems to competition. They will be supporting their own demise. Or
> to be more exact, they will be the enabling technology that will
> eventually cause the total decoupling of content and carriage.

Actually this is the major fault with so-called Internet TV. It is not
open and every vendor has their own server delivery approach. They may
use a few low-level standards at most, but there is no interoperability.
For example, try making an Akimbo box connect to Movielink, or download
Akimbo clips with your Media Center PC.

Everyone is desperately trying to stake some turf and impress the
studios with their superior authentication, network, and STB, but in the
end they will just shoot themselves in the feet. The only way Internet
TV will get anywhere is with open standards and open services.

Cheers
Kon