[opendtv] Re: The "Mice" Roared

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:53:05 -0500

John Willkie wrote:

>(I must remind that Florida, California and New York forbid a criminal from
>profiting directly or indirectly from his or her crime through the publication
>of a book, screenplay or story.)  Under the legal standard that prevails in
>civil trials, Simpson killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.

The civil trial established Simpson as a tortfeasor and not a criminal.  So
long as the book is hypothetical rather than a confession, pretty clearly it
probably does not fall within the proscriptions of those statutes.
Furthermore, Simpson has never been legally deprived of ordinary civil rights,
which deprivation might be a necessary condition precedent for the statutes to
be constitutional.

Al Limberg