[opendtv] Re: The End of TV as We Know It

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:14:35 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The author knew exactly what he was taking about, but
> he did not describe it precisely.

I forgot to close the loop.

The subject line, "the end of TV as we know it," would
therefore be an exaggeration. If users are actually
joining existing multicast streams, the TV they see will
be very much the same as the TV they see now. At best,
with enough bandwidth available, a given show might
have multiple starting times, each stream belonging to
a different multicast group.

Even DTT could provide this, if they wanted to. Just
transmit the main program, perhaps in HD, in subchannel
1. Transmit delayed versions of the same stream in
other subchannels, as SD multicasts.

Look ma, and I didn't even use IP to achieve this.